Monday, August 2, 2010

Recaptchas

For those of my fine, furry friends that don't know what the hell a "recaptcha" is, let me enlighten you as my good friend Rebecca did me.

You know those boxes that come up when you try to post a link onto facebook, or add a comment to your match.com profile? (I mean, what?)
You know, the ones that are like, "before you post this totally awesome comment, it's vitally important that you decipher these illegible words that are unintelligibly placed next to each other and spell them correctly." For example: ridonkidonk nutmeg

Now, I was under the impression that these were entirely pointless. I knew that they said that this was to help weed out spammers and computers from humans, but I didn't believe it.

What, is there some finger prick on the "R" key that reads my blood and tests it positively for human DNA? What if I'm completely illiterate or blind and misspell the word? Oh no!

But apparently these boxes, these RECAPTCHAS, are filled with whimsical phrases that computers can't read. And in the meantime, they are also helping to create digital versions of ancient word press. Which is pretty freakin' sweet.

However, blind people have it rough. Recaptchas will read you the words, unintelligibly of course, instead of having you read them. The result? It sounds as though the Russian mafia is about to kill you. No thanks, I'd rather just keep my comment to myself.

My theory is that the recaptchas are in cahoots with America's Most Wanted. If you can understand the voice, you obviously know the person speaking. And that person is wanted for a triple homicide backflip with a robbery to boot. (Did that sound impressive? I know it's more of a gymnastics move at this point. Well..maybe just the backflip part). Regardless, these boxes create lots of entertainment.


A link explaining more, you ask for? Here you go, fine fellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment