Sunday, May 2, 2010

My Beef With Noise Machines

There is a reason that white noise is used in horror films.
If memory serves me correctly, "White Noise" is actually a horror film.
So why do people insist on using it on noise machines to fall asleep?
I have no problem with a nice ocean noise, like waves crashing, but white noise?
Do you want me to have nightmares about demons crawling out of a radio? Thanks.
When my mom took me to visit Indiana, she pulled out a little machine and turned on white noise. I turned the knob, thinking (stupidly) that maybe if i turned it the noise would change.
But no. It just got louder. WHY. WHY would someone make a noise machine that is only white noise?! I want to meet this person, and berate them for such an idiotic idea.
White noise.
It's the thing that people hear when the cable goes out and they cover their ears until they can reach the remote to flip the damn thing off.
It's what you hear when you turn the radio to AM instead of FM (& let's face it, who likes AM?)
It's the last thing that guy in White Noise heard before he died.
It's not what any sane person should want to fall asleep to.
And that, that my friend, is my beef with noise machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment